1826 March 9th *The Honduras Almanack,
The first piece of work printed in Belize by James Cruickshank.
1829 *The Honduras Gazzette and Commercial Advertiser,
This newspaper was published weekly (every Saturday) from July 1, 1826 to June 27, 1829 or perhaps a little later. The early volumes were edited by James Cruickshank and later by Thomas Phillip Pickstock. The precise location of the Printing Office is not indicated in the newspaper.
1835 *Government Gazette,
Published weekly, with a circulation of 304 copies. Government Gazette
1838 *Belize Advertiser,
This newspaper was published weekly from September 29, 1838 to November 9, 1889. During this period, it appears that this paper discontinued publication several times and had numerous publishers. For instance, later editions of 1881-1889 were published by C.T. Hunter and George Mitchell on North Front Street, Belize City.
1840 *Honduras Observer,
This newspaper was published weekly from November 25, 1840 until 1848 or perhaps a little later. It had several publishers such as John Daly, Henry Gunter. By 1845 the paper had a new editor, William E. Fitzgibbon and it changed its name to Honduras Observer and Belize Gazette.
1845 *Honduras Observer and Belize Gazette,
This newspaper originally started as the Honduras Observer. lasted until about 1848.
1850 *The Honduras Watchman,
Published weekly by Edward L Rhys in 1850. It is uncertain how long this paper continued. The only copy available at the Archives in Belmopan is Volume 2, #34, August 23,1851
1854 *The Packet Intelligencer,
Published weekly on Saturday, by John M. Daly from June 10, 1854. It is uncertain how long this paper lasted as only two issues can be located in most newspaper libraries.
1864 *The Colonist,
A Weekly Gazette, published every Saturday by Mr. Edward L. Rhys from December 31, 1864 to November 1866 when Rhys died.
1867 *The Commercial Advertiser,
Published weekly on Wednesday (this copy was dated
July 10, 1867
1867 *The British Honduras Colonist and Belize Advertiser,
Was published weekly from July 20, 1867, to November 28, 1868 and printed by Middleton and Company. The British Honduras Colonist and Belize Advertiser
1867 *Daly's Advertising Sheet,
Only one copy of this newspaper for Dec.17, 1867 can be traced. Apparently published by John M. Daly. However, there is evidence that the printing equipment for both the Packet Itelligencer and the Daly's Advertising Sheet was passed into the possession of Edward G. Garnett at the "New Era Printing Office".
1871 *The New Era and British Honduras Chronicle, This newspaper was published weekly on Saturday, from January 7, 1871 and was printed by Edward C. Garnett. It is unknown when it ceased publication.
1873 *The Central American Telegraph,
This newspaper was published twice montly from March 12, 1873 to May 26, 1873 and edited by Dr. F. Gahn, Col. John Tracy and others. There is no indication of the printer and precisely where it was printed. It ceased publication after the first quater.
1882 *Colonial Guardian,
Printed every Saturday at the office of Colonial Press Association Ltd., on Albert Street in Belize City, initially by J. Robert Caines. The paper, which first appeared on January 7, 1882 was edited by Dr. Frederick Gahne until it ceased publication in 1913.
1885 *The Observer,
Was published weekly from February 1885 to February 1886 by John Robert Caines at the Observer Printing Office,Water Lane, Belize City. Apparently this was not a success, as it ceased publication just after one year.
1894 *The Times Central America,
This newspaper was published weekly from July 6,1894 to December 31, 1896 and printed by Walter Adam Burn from his Printing Office in the Hunter's Building. North Front Street, Belize City. It is said that this was one of the worst-printed Belizean newspapers.
1887 *Belize Advertised and British Honduras Gazette,
Was published weekly from February 26, 1887 and printed by George S. Banham. It appears this publication did not survive very long, as the last known copy was #20 of May, 1888.
1897 *The Clarion,
Was published weekly from November 19, 1897 (circulation of 800) until it transformed into a daily paper in 1935. It was printed by Philip Stanley Woods at the Clarion Office, Hunter's Building, North Front Street, Belize City. It eventually ceased publication after sixty-four years after Hurricane Hattie destroyed the press in 1961. The Last editor of this newspaper was Edward Laaing. (the editors of the Clarion and the Belize Independent are the Hon. P. Stanley Woods and Mr. Hubert H. Cain, respectively.)
1914 *The Belize Independent,
(The Trumpet Press) a weekly newspaper with a circulation of 1,000 copies, was established in1914 and lasted until 1945 and was edited by George S. Banham and Mr. H. H. Cain, as sort of continuation of the Belize Advertiser and British Honduras Gazette. This paper was one of the more successful newspapers as it continued publication until near the end of World War 11.
1918 *The Honduras Church Evangel,
A monthly magazines, with a circulation of 2,000
1922 *The Mangrove,
(St. John's College Magazine.) distributed monthly with a circulation of 659 (The Honduras Church Evangel and The Mangrove are religious magazines published by the Anglican and Roman Catholic Churches respectively.)
*The Belize Times,
Printed and Published by The Belize Times Press LTD. Belize City.
*The British Honduran,
1967 *The Reporter,
Serving Belize since 1967, General Editor: Harry Lawrence.
Published weekly by the Amandala Press, in Belize City. Publisher: Evan X Hyde, Editor: Russel Vellos.
(check out the many changes in the Amandala logos)
*The People's Pulse ,
Managing Editor; Richard Stuart, Asst. Editor; William G. Ysaguirre.
10th Setember special edition
Printed by the Reporter Press for "The Committee of Forty" in Sept. 1978